Friday, June 13, 2008

Tony Luke's

Cheesesteak wit provolone

According to Penn Health, there are 900 calories in a cheesesteak. They must have been referring to a meagre cheesesteak from one of those food trucks on Chestnut St. in front of HUP. The cheesesteak pictured above is far more substantial.

I don't think that you can get a good cheesesteak outside of Philadelphia. I hadn't been to Philly in 10 years, therefore, I hadn't had a cheesesteak in 10 years. One of my friends, a Philly native, said that Tony Luke's had the best cheesesteaks in the city. It was a surprise to me since the two places usually mentioned for the best cheesesteaks in Philly are Pat's and Geno's. I lived in Philly for four years and I never even heard of Tony Luke's.


The restaurant is an old fashioned take-out counter on the wrong side of the tracks, just north of the Walt Whitman bridge. There were only a few picnic tables for people to sit. No wonder I never went during college. But it was worth the trip. A sign of quality is when the weather is 100 degrees with 95% humidity and people are still willing to wait for food. There were at least 10 people in the queue in front of me.

The sandwich was a footlong Italian roll filled with thinly sliced ribeye, provolone cheese and grilled onion. Unlike most other cheesesteak places, Tony Luke's doesn't chop up the meat, instead the slices are topped with cheese and onions, then piled into the roll. All the bread is baked daily at their restaurant.

Tony Luke's
39 E. Oregon Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19148

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love a good philly cheese steak. I've been known to buy a couple of footlongs from Gino's to take with me on my flight out from the Philly Airport back to Memphis.