Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bakesale Betty

Fried Chicken Sandwich...you know you want it

Now that my classes are over and my job doesn't start for another month, I really have no need to go anywhere. With the exception for Trader Joe's, I don't go outside. I've become agoraphobic.

In spite of my aversion to the great outdoors, I ventured over to the East Bay in search of the fried chicken sandwich at Bakesale Betty. The owner was the former pastry chef at Chez Panisse and she was profiled in the SF Chronicle last year. The article includes the recipe for the sandwich.

Since it was a beautiful day and I had some free time, I went off in search of the elusive sandwich. Sure, I really don't need to eat anything that has over 1,000 calories. I did walk from the BART station to Telegraph, which helped to offset the caloric intake.

The bakery was a tiny operation on the corner of Telegraph and 51st. The sidewalks were lined with old benches and ironing board that doubled for dining tables. People were lined up out the door. That gave me time to peruse the menu selection. I passed on the strawberry shortcake, but I gladly accepted a ginger cookie that was handed out to waiting customers.

I waited for my turn at the counter and I was soon seated outside on a sunny street in Oakland eating a friend chicken sandwich. The verdict: it was pretty good. It's hard to go wrong with fried chicken and cole slaw on Acme bread. I may even venture back to East Bay for another sandwich run after I overcome my agoraphobia.

Bakesale Betty
5098 Telegraph Ave.
Oakland, CA

No comments: